Why is Schenley Park a good choice for wedding photos or an engagement session?
- Schenley Park is much less manicured than the other city parks, Mellon and Frick. It’s a much wilder, more overgrown park.
- There’s a lot of diversity here. You have the one-of-a-kind stone bridge, tiny Panther Hollow Lake with its marshy cattails, and the cobblestone road behind the Visitors Center.
- There are a lot of different spots within Schenley Park! There are a lot of photos to look through in this gallery. To get a better idea of where within Schenley Park these locations are, check out the interactive photo location guide map below.
- For a great sunset photo, go to the Frisbee Golf Course near the skating rink.
My favorite spot within Schenley Park?
I’d have to go with the bottom of the stone bridge.
- To get to the stone bridge and Panther Hollow Lake, it is a significant walk involving a lot of steps. Not recommended unless you have comfortable shoes and a willingness to climb a lot of stairs! But, the very unique stone bridge at the bottom is worth the walk.
- It’s very shady in the Panther Hollow area. If you’re planning an evening engagement session, go here first, as sunlight disappears here earlier than up at street level.
Please don’t overlook what time of day your photo session will take place! Note that each photo has a not-particularly-attractive time stamp on it. Why did I put these ugly numbers all over these photos? Because time of day is critical to creating beautiful photos. And time of day is fluid depending on the time of year. For example, 6:30pm might be the perfect time of day for photos at the North Shore in May… but if you go at 6:30pm in November, it’s going to be dark. Be sure to consult a sunset calculator so you know when it will be getting dark on the day of your shoot. Better yet – ask your photographer!
Looking for more places for pictures for your wedding day or engagement session? Check out the interactive Pittsburgh Wedding Photography Location Guide Map.
Christina Montemurro Photography specializes in Pittsburgh weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs. Using a photojournalistic approach, Christina creates genuine, heartfelt, relaxed images, with extraordinary attention to detail and customer service. Contact Christina now to check availability for your engagement session, wedding, bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah. Christina has been rated among top Pittsburgh photographers. You can read reviews by Christina’s past brides and grooms here and here.